Petrasek, Literary Agent
I have been writing professionally since the early 1980s when I was in my 20s. It’s been a great journey that continues. Here’s the breakdown ….
Currently, I have 3 series in development that I created:
* Writers Guild of America East Inc. Registration # 1274384
- The Mediator – Co – Writer, Brian Lynch
* Writers Guild of America East Inc. Registration # 1274404
- Road to Possible – Co Writer, Lesley Apelbaum
* Writers Guild of America East Inc. Registration # 1720362
Plus 1 Feature Film Treatment:
- 41 Weeks – Currently being evaluated by a major American Studio in LA.
And my 1st volume of Poetry:
- Naked Singularity
- Eleanora’s Song was just published in the United States by IthacaLit.com
- Video performances can be viewed on YouTube:
- Eleanora’s Song
– Soweto Missouri
The Youth View Communications;
Series, Documentaries & Educational Media Programs
Creator and Head Writer for over 2,000 minutes of broadcast series, documentaries and educational programs (some in multiple languages). Most in English and French. All for multiple platform applications, including broadcast, internet, disc / licensed download and international distribution.
These are all listed in my Producing/Directing profile.
Writing Teams working under my direction:
- Robin Harvery
- Anna Bauer Ross
- Angelo Frank Ruffo
- Claudia Suhanic
Independent Feature Film
I have co-writen four feature films. All were optioned.
- “THE RACE” with Robin Harvey
- “REDIAL” with David Van Fleet
- “UNTITLED” with Don Young
- “SURVIVAL” with Donald Martin
Freelance Feature Writer for the Toronto Star Newspaper. Feature articles were over 1500 word community interest articles appearing in the Toronto Sunday Star, Life Section.
- Nominated for the Solicitor General’s Award in Journalism
Education & Media Training Curricula
Weengushk Film Institute
Producing: The Art & Craft of Bringing The Project In On Time & Budget
1 month, 9am to 5 pm, 5 days per week practical Film & Media Course. Engaged to teach the Producing Unit (using my own curriculum and experience) in the Institues 3rd year Media Program.
- Budgeting – Development & Production/Post Production
- Financing Modules
- All Contracts
- Hiring the Production Team & Managing The Project
- Production Process
- Distribution, Sales & Festivals – National & International
The Weengushk Film Institute was created by Canadian 1st Nations film maker, Shirley Cheechoo. The Institute is based on the Canadian Film Centre to provide professional film, television and media training.
Youth View – Therapeutic Creative Misbehavior
2 Semester / High School Curriculum – Grade 12
Created the Program and wrote the Curriculum teachers and students would follow. This was the 1st School based television series done by youth for youth, broadcast on Rogers Cable Ontario wide. This series was developed and was produced with 16 high schools participating. A 30 student Co-op placement per semester, at Kipling Collegiate Institute in Etobicoke Ontario produced the ½ hr. series and ran / produced and hosted the ½ hr. live phone in broadcast direct from the Rogers Studio in North York, Ontario. The program ran for 6 years from pilot to full series until the Boroughs within the City of Toronto & the School Boards amalgamated. The program then evolved into and continued as, the Youth View Communications – Youth Internship Media Training Programs for At Risk & Disabled Youth.
Youth View Communications – Youth Internship Media Training Programs for At Risk & Disabled Youth 22 Week Curriculum
Wrote all the Curriculum for all stages of; writing, pre-production, production and post production plus the Employable Life Skills.
Press, broadcast and distribution was also included.
Over $800,000 in Federal Financing through Service Canada.
– video production
– web authoring
- The Toronto Lion Dance Festival
– video production
- The 3rd Annual Lion Dance Festival
- – video production
- The Changing Face of AIDS
– video production
– web authoring
– Teachers Guide
All ½ hour programs for broadcast and 30 to 40 minute educational distribution.
Teachers’ Guides / Zines
These resources were written to provide teachers and community workers with additional information and resources to compliment the various media programs/series that were produced and distributed. Many were bilingual, French and English.
Mentoring with young writers on Youth Zines, Blogs and writing continues.
Teachers Guides and Zines include:
- The Changing Face of AIDS / Gun Control – French & English
- Precision Decisions – Series
- 3 Episode Series; Your Truth Is Your Truth – French & English
- Driving In Circles – Series
- ARTT (Anti-Racism Through Theatre) Video – Zine
Websites / Micro Sites
Web design in creative content, layout and graphics. This has been ongoing since the mid 1990s. Full accessibility of web-based content has always been included to clients, partners and the public.
Example Sites Include:
- Road to Possible
- Ministry of Community Social Services, Accessibility Directorate, Ontario – French & English
- tabia – Micro Site – Mainstreet Ontario
- Ontario Construction Secretariat
- Teresa Group (1st Website)
- Grillo & Associates (1st Website)
- Youth View Communications (no longer posted)
Media Launches / Press Conferences / Press Releases
Organized, wrote, co-wrote and Held Press Conferences and Press Releases for:
Two for: The Changing Face of AIDS
- Casey House Hospice – CoHosts, MP Jim Karyiganis & Casey Hose Director
- Scadding Court Community Centre – Co-Hosts, MP Olivia Chow & Arlene Heeley
- Two for: Youth View Communications / Etobicoke Board of Education
- Co-Hosts – Actor David Carradine, CEO/Founder Annabel Slaight, OWL Magazine, Education Minister John Snowbellen
- Co-Hosts – Right Honourable Alan Rock, Minister of Justice / Attorney General of Canada, Director of Etobicoke Board of Education
- Two for: Made With The Trades
– Co-Hosts Right Honourable Jane Stewart, Minister, Service Canada & Executive director Ontario construction Secretariat Scott McIvor
- Precision Decisions
- Co-Hosts Executive director Yves Landry Foundation, Executive Director Automotive Parts Manufacturing Association (APMA) & Ontario Ministry of Education Colleges and Universities
- Career Highways
– Co-Hosts Executive director Ontario Trucking Association & Director Service Canada, Peel Region
Press Releases & Press conferences/Media Launches
Co-Wrote and edited all press releases for All copyrighted programs and media campaigns that are list above and in the Producing Section.
The Beginning and Wrap Up
CBC Vancouver provided me with my 1st writing opportunity when they pickup and produced as a sitcom, the adaptation I wrote of the play I produced and co-starred in, MAYONNAISE written by John Ibbitson, now with the Globe and Mail newspaper.
John became my co-writer on the series. I was also the co-star and Creative Consultant. This was the 1st time in Canadian television history that a Canadian play had been adapted to TV series.
This launched my very fortunate career in writing, producing and directing and being able to work with the people I respect, admire and have a great affection for their professionalism and humanity.